TOP 10 Art & Design
The art & design scene has been booming for some years. In the past, houses were built traditionally and the design was influenced by the Viking era. Within the last few years the Icelandic design scene has developed intensively and is now a part of the culture and the economy.
The financial crisis in 2008 has been a driving force for this creative and dynamic design scene. A lot of young people have been using the financial crisis to start up in the design branch. Iceland also has some young and well known musicians such as Emilíana Torrini or „Of Monsters and Men“. Reykjavik invites you to buy amazing design at a decent price. Most of the design stores are located in the heart of Reykjavik, especially on the shopping streets Laugarvegur and Skólavörðustígur.
Fashion, Painting and CO
- Farmers Market: Outdoor and town clothing, Founded in 2005, Usage of natural material, mostly Icelandic sheep wool, Address Flagship Store: Hólmaslóð 2, Reykjavík.
- Igló: Stylish clothing for children (0-12 years). Address : Laugavegi 39, Reykjavík.
- Ella: lassic and elegant clothing in the „Slow Fashion Style“ for women, Founded in 2011 by Elín Rós Líndal. Address: Ingólfsstræti 5, Reykjavík.
- Spakmannsspjarir: Fashion for women inspired by Icelandic nature. Address: Bankastræti 11, Reykjavík.
- 66°Norður: Outdoor clothing for the whole family, Founded in 1926. Focus was on clothing for Icelandic fishermen. Address: Laugarvegur 17, Reykjavík.
- Herrafataverzlun Kormáks og Skjaldar: Very stylish „old fashion“ & „street wear“ for men. Address: Laugavegur 59 or Skólavörðustíg 28, 101 Reykjavík.
- KronKron: Very trendy design fashion, mostly for women. Tip: Crazy shoes. Address: Laugavegi 63B, Reykjavík.
- Eggert Pétursson: Painter. Mostly painting flowers. Pictures are very rare, but sold in gallery i8. Address: Tryggvagata 16, 101 Reykjavík.
- Guðrún Einarsdóttir: Paintings are inspired by nature. Address: Fiskislóð 45 L, Reykjavík. Please call before visiting: +354 699 2880, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rax – Ragnar Axelsson: Photographer, Photo-Book: Faces of the north, Contact: email@example.com
- Kraum: Collective sale of approx. 200 Icelandic design products from the fields of clothing, jewellery, art, furniture etc. Address:Hverfisgata 34, 101 Reykjavík.
- i8: Art Gallery. Address: Tryggvagata 16, Reykjavík.